Monday, June 27, 2011

Multi purpose table/cart

Ok, so I built this table for Brian. He just purchased a new BBQ and I noticed he didn't have anywhere for staging his food. I was going to just build a table, but then I saw this rolling cart w/ removable tray. I thought it was a great idea. He can bring the tray inside, load it up with food and supplies, bring it to the grill, and then bring it to the table if he so desires. I made a few changes from the original (seen here: http://ana-white.com/2011/05/rolling-bar-cart-removable-tray) The biggest changes were that I did not put handles on it nor did I make it a rolling cart. The main reason was.....well....i just didn't feel like it, ok?
If he decides he wants it to roll, it's a pretty easy fix to take care of that for him. Me personally, I just liked it as a stationary table. And since I built it, I can pretty much do what I want. I also added an extra handle to one side of the cart. It can be used for a towel, BBQ tools, etc.
Overall I am happy with the build portion of it, but extremely bummed with the finish. I tried my hand at painting it with outdoor paint and a clear outdoor top coat. For some reason I could just not get it smooth. Oh well, we live and learn. No more painting for me, I will stick to staining from now on.
I hope you all enjoy and maybe Brian will invite you over for a BBQ!!!   He at least better invite me over.
 As always, start with wood......and coffee (key ingredient)
Measure and cut all pieces
 Magically it's all built (sorry, forgot to take pics along the way)


 I added an extra support piece to the side. Helps in stability and keeps the tray from falling out.



 Some black paint

 Some red paint
 Few pieces of stainless steel hardware

 Clear topcoat, installed hardware and what-do-ya-know, it's all done!

 BTW, this is my backyard I used for the pictures. Come over anytime for some grilling!



"Look for new outlets for your own creative ability"

6 comments:

  1. Love it, came out great. I so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived closer to get some free furniture out of you!! You're doing such a great job on everything. Love and miss you lots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you didn't use wood that would actually survive being outdoors for very long. That puppy gets wet and it will lose it's finish quickly, warp and start to fall apart within two years. Next time try a little cypress, or cedar, or if you're feeling flush, go with teak, ipe, or white oak. These woods will far outlast pine in the outdoors. And no annoying, frustrating painting either - a little oil and you'll be good to go.

    Otherwise it's a nice execution of a good design. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I have decided I am going to attempt making this bbq stand you have made. I was wondering if you used mortise and tenon joinery or screws or nails?

    ReplyDelete